In 1741, the Lancaster Court of Quarter Sessions authorized the formation of Antrim Township, then part of Lancaster County. Early Antrim included most of the land in Franklin County, however, its original size was decreased as more Boroughs and Townships were formed. This land was part of Penns Woods, acquired in 1681 from the King of England. Ownership of this land was in dispute between Lord Baltimore and Penns Woods. The Court of England eventually hired Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to survey the disputed area now known as the Mason-Dixon line. The area was a hunting and fishing grounds for various Indian tribes.